The Lotus Flower®
The lotus flower (Nelumbo Nucifera) is a very ancient water plant that grows wild on Burman lakes, particularly on Lake Inle, in an environment of rare beauty.
It has a number of extraordinary qualities: its roots lie in the mud of the lake bed and every evening the flowers close and sink beneath the surface of the murky water only to re-emerge perfectly clean and uncontaminated the following morning as the sun rises.
It is a sacred flower in Buddhism and Hinduism and over the centuries it has given origin to a complex philosophical and religious symbolism.
Above all, it is a symbol of purity and of the capacity to preserve a wholesome heart despite living every day in contact with an often corrupt world.
The lotus flower fibre derives from the stems of these flowers, which are picked between April and January.
Extracted manually from the stems, the filaments must be worked within 24 hours to prevent deterioration.
The thread is obtained by joining the filaments of three to five stalks, then "rubbing" them-roughly twisting the fibers on a surface - after which they are then finally spun and woven by hand with ancient tools.
This is done by the women who obtain just 120 grams of yarn per day and 50 meters of fabric per month. Production is very limited, and is the result of an ancient and masterly art that could soon disappear if not appropriately supported.
With an average diameter ranging from three to five micron, the lotus flower is one of the finest textile fibres known to man, much finer than even cotton or linen.
Due to its incredible fineness, more than 13.000 meters, derived from 26.000 stems, are necessary for a single cut length for a blazer.
The lotus flower is characterized by an unmistakable morphology, similar to a perforated tape, which is light in weight and breathable and wraps itself in a spiral-like structure.
Its qualities can be compared to a vegetable microfiber. The fabric is similar in appearance to antique linen or raw silk, with an irregular texture.
It is soft, exceptionally breathable and crease resistant, making it suitable for spring and summer jackets.
Available in very limited quantities, Loro Piana The Lotus Flower® is now presented only in its natural ecru color.
The lotus flower represents another opportunity for Loro Piana to support a marvelous,magical and natural world threatened with extinction.
The Inths have lived for centuries on the waters of Lake Inle, which provides everything they need to support themselves in total harmony with nature.
The cooperation with Loro Piana will give this population the ability to work in their original environment, thereby ensuring that their cultural tradition will not be lost.
For the most deserving consumers this is the opportunity to discover a new and precious excellence created exclusively by Loro Piana.
- Vicuña The rarest, finest fibre in the world comes from a small member of the camel family that lives wild in the Andes: the vicuña. With its sun-colored, ultra-soft f...
- Baby Cashmere Baby Cashmere is an extremely rare and precious fibre exclusively obtained from the underfleece of Hircus goat kids. The fibre is gathered by means of a delicat...
- Cashmere Loro Piana is the largest cashmere and baby cashmere manufacturer in the western world. The finest lots of this precious fibre come from Northern China and Mong...
- Pecora Nera® Loro Piana has made the extraordinary story of the dark coloured Merino sheep its very own. These extraordinary animals are the result of 20 years work of caref...
- Extrafine Wools The most highly-prized wool comes from the Merino breed of sheep, which originated in the Mediterranean basin and was introduced to Australia and New Zealand in...
- Storm System® Storm System® is the registered Loro Piana mark indicating natural fabrics that have been made totally waterproof and wind resistant by combining natural fibres...
- N.P.E.L.P. Loro Piana's sunglasses are the fruit of two different passions and competences: Loro Piana's ceaseless search for the best raw materials to be transformed into...